Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Holidays 2009

If holiday letters are all about shoving what we think is important down the throats of the suckers who actually click on the link, what's important to us right now is lightening up. That's because Dec. 7 we had to bury Kahlua, about the sweetest dog ever, as the many of you who met our beloved pet (more like family member) of 17 years know. Feelings are a little raw right now but getting better and we'll honor her later but for now, we'll let this picture do and move on to lightening up.

Hopefully some of these things that made us laugh this year will amuse you too:



Jim turns 65:

Actual mail from health care supplement company (note the note on the envelope):


Such a deal:


Jim's feeling a little left behind:


Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else. Ogden Nash



From Garrison Kiellor:


From the Newspaper (yes, we still subscribe): Click on them for bigger images:

Ouch:


A proper wedding for the Naylor-Watsons, at last:



A letter to the editor and a response from Ms Literal (click to enlarge):


A few other laughs:


At Sarah Palin's reemergence first stop in Michigan, she said, "I just can't tell you how good it is to be back in Michigan. Alaska and Michigan have so much in common, with the huntin' and the fishin' and the hockey moms, and just the hardworking, patriotic Americans who are here."

And Sarah even brought out the craziness in reasons to be an anonymous source:




David Sedaris in the New Yorker:
"I thought back to when I was fifteen and a girl in my junior high died of leukemia, or 'Love Story Disease' as it was often referred to then. The principal made the announcement and I, along with the rest of my friends, fell into a great show of mourning. Group hugs, bouquets laid near the flagpole. I can't imagine what it would have been like had we actually known her. Not to brag but I think I took it hardest of all. 'Why her and not me?' I wailed."





This was funny to us because we had the same sign on our door for years:




And, off the funny theme but a great diversion, Ryan Dobrowski who we've known since his birth is the cofounder and drummer for this wonderful and up-and-coming folk-rock group. We saw them live in DC and again here in Eugene and they were terrific!!


Finally, for your viewing pleasure (if not for Jim's), here is a link to a web chronicle of Jim's war of wits with a thieving squirrel. Enjoy and have a wonderful season and 2010! http://howarddn.globat.com/Squirrel/

XO

Beth and Jim